Friday, June 10, 2016

The Good Home


Reflections from the farm. . .


            Have you ever had to move away from a home you loved or wished you could put a For Sale sign in the front yard of your current home? 

        When we lived in Washington state, we built our first home on five acres with a beautiful view of the Olympic mountains. It was a small bit of heaven! One of my best friends was even my neighbor.   I still remember when a family member asked me if we were building a custom home? I didn't know how to answer them because I am embarrassed to say, I didn't know what a custom home was, but I soon found out .  Basically a custom home is defined as a one-of-a-kind home.   Then it hit me like a kick in the head that most of the homes in the magazines we look at are pictures of custom built homes. No wonder we always love them so much. They are beautifully landscaped, decorated by interior designers, no amount of expense spared, clean, and perfect.

        Most of us don't live in the custom home world. We can't afford the house of our dreams. But I've realized I still want that perfect home and my desires were fed whenever I got on Pinterest or flipped through home magazines. Our house in Washington was beautiful  and I wouldn't trade that experience of building or the short time we lived in it.  To me it was the "perfect" home and in my mind I would never have another house as beautiful as my mountain home. 

       Recently I listened to a podcast called “The Song of Creation” by Tim Keller, pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City that made me think differently about the “perfect” home. He was talking about Genesis 1 where God was doing some heavy duty creating each day and afterwards he always said the same phrase. It wasn't, “Oh man I don't like the way that turned out,” or “it's too small, big, wrong color,” or “I have to start over.” He didn't even say “that's beautiful” or “that's perfect.” He simply said   that "it was good.” I couldn't help but wonder why he didn't say it was perfect, because it was! The only day he said “It was very good,” was the day he made man.

           It made me examine my perfectionistic desires and how I long to copy those beautiful pages in the magazines. If God can be content with good, maybe I can too.  Can I look at the way I  create, design, paint, cook, whatever I do to make my home and life a fun, restful, loving place and say “it is good,” instead of whine because it didn't turn out the way I had pictured it in my head?   Can I see the way I create as special, unique, and okay even if it didn't turn out the way I hoped?


        It  reminded me of artwork that my sons would show me before their little hands had fine motor skills. I still thought it was good,even when they got frustrated with it and threw it in the trash. I loved their little stick figures, battles, soldiers, and tank drawings.  Each drawing was their unique expressions of  art.  It didn't have to be perfect.


         I think our eyes will always be drawn to beauty, color, balance, etc. but I want to learn to be content with a good home and not seek that just out of my reach perfect, custom home. When you stop and think about it, each of our homes really are one-of-a-kind, because we live in them and our decorating style is unique.   A good home is good enough for me, how about you?





No comments:

Post a Comment